Monday, April 9, 2007

ODB - Bridges

Reguliersgracht Bridge, Amsterdam



in the canal
nighttime Amsterdam sparkles
brilliant reflection


© Pictures of Amsterdam courtesy of Amsterdam.info


Smoke Rising

defiant, I turn
away from the bitter smoke
of the bridge I burned



Gertie

Galloping Gertie
swept off your feet by the wind
you thrilled to the touch
that made you shimmy and twirl
you only wanted to dance




For those of you who haven't heard of Galloping Gertie, she was a famous bridge in Tacoma, WA, USA, that collapsed spectacularly in a windstorm in the 1940s. Definitely one of my favorite bridges, even though she's gone! Do a web search and you will find lots of pics and even a video of the collapse, which is worth seeing if you've never seen concrete and steel dance!


For more interesting bridges go visit One Deep Breath




9 comments:

Roswila said...

I really enjoyed that first one. It made me "reflect." :-)

Unknown said...

I really liked the first but was blown away by the second. Great writing.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Excellent selection! I love the bridges in Amsterdam so i particularly enjoyed the first haiku and photo.

wrdup said...

I enjoyed them all but that brigde, wow brings some romantic thoughts to mind.I love Amsterdam!

Regina said...

Oh, yes- simply wonderful! Aamsterdam is beautiful at night!
And the second one! Wow! We have all been there!

Annie Jeffries said...

Wow, burning bridges. Love this and the strength brought to bare to walk away.

susanlavonne said...

burning bridges...i almost never use this word but that haiku is truly awesome...(they're all really nice and the photo is amazing)

jem said...

Loved the middle one. A real sense of no regrets!

Scribbles said...

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm glad y'all enjoyed them! :)

aqua